Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Better World Books/Starting from Zero


This is without a doubt, THE COOLEST bookstore I have ever heard of....maybe even the coolest store, PERIOD.  They collect and sell books online to fund literacy initiatives worldwide.  They have more than two million new and used titles in stock and are a self-sustaining, triple-bottom-line company that creates social, economic and environmental value for all of their stakeholders.  All of their books are available with FREE shipping to any location within the United States (or $3.97 worldwide). And in case you’re concerned about your eco-footprint, every order is shipped carbon neutral with offsets from Carbonfund.org. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

This is a copy of the email I received from them confirming the shipment of my order:

Hello Samantha,            
             
(Your book(s) asked to write you a personal note - it seemed unusual, but who are we to say no?)            
 Holy canasta! It's me... it's me! I can't believe it is actually me! You could have picked any of over 2 million books but you picked me! I've got to get packed! How is the weather where you live? Will I need a dust jacket? I can't believe I'm leaving Mishawaka, Indiana already - the friendly people, the Hummer plant, the Linebacker Lounge - so many memories. I don't have much time to say goodbye to everyone, but it's time to see the world!            
             
I can't wait to meet you! You sound like such a well read person. Although, I have to say, it sure has taken you a while! I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but how would you like to spend five months sandwiched between Jane Eyre (drama queen) and Fundamentals of Thermodynamics (pyromaniac)? At least Jane was an upgrade from that stupid book on brewing beer. How many times did the ol' brewmaster have one too many and topple off our shelf at 2am?            
               
I know the trip to meet you will be long and fraught with peril, but after the close calls I've had, I'm ready for anything (besides, some of my best friends are suspense novels). Just five months ago, I thought I was a goner. My owner was moving and couldn't take me with her. I was sure I was landfill bait until I ended up in a Better World Books book drive bin. Thanks to your socially conscious book shopping, I've found a new home. Even better, your book buying dollars are helping kids read from Brazil to Botswana.

Um.....yah.   Pretty funny;-)  If only everyone did their business with a similar attitude.....




One of the causes they specifically raise money for is called Starting from Zero.  Here is what it's all about....... (taken from their website)


Cuttington University in Liberia: Starting from Zero

Posted by Andy on 02.18.2008 at 9:38 pm

Recently I had the opportunity to visit Liberia with others from Better World Books and Books for Africa . Liberia is a small country in West Africa that has been through horrific civil war for 14 years before finally re-establishing peace in 2003. Needless to say, just about every institution in the country is starting from zero, slowly building back up, and that includes their universities.

Cuttington University (map) is a rural 4-year university in Liberia . It is the oldest coed 4-year university in West Africa , considered by many to be the country’s most prestigious institution of higher education. It also happens to be quite close to the farm of Charles Taylor, the former president of Liberia who is currently on trial at the International Court of Justice in the Hague .

So here’s what I mean about “starting from zero”… four years ago, this prestigious university had no roofs on its buildings and no books in its library. The campus was ransacked during the wars… most of the books in the library were burned as fuel for fires.
Our group was able to meet with leaders from the university and hear their needs. Better World Books has committed to funding, through Books for Africa, the shipment of two 40-foot sea containers full of books (that’s 80,000 books) to Liberia for the country’s universities.

Cuttington is in dire need of books, so Liberia ’s brightest minds can be educated to help pull this country out of war-ravaged poverty. I think I speak for everyone at Better World Books when I say that we’re honored to be helping Cuttington.


SO..... the next time you want to buy a book, check this site out!!!!  Every book I've bought so far has been under $10!!!!!  and FREE shipping!!!!  and the money goes for an amazing cause;-)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home